No Matter What Shape - The Archive

AN ARCHIVE OF MY OLDER WORK - AN EXHIBITION SPACE FOR ORIGINAL AND ALTERNATE VERSIONS OF MANIPULATED WORKS THAT APPEAR AT MICKMATHERSARTBLOG - A PARKING PLACE FOR SELECTED GRAPHICS USED IN OTHER BLOG SIDEBARS - AN ARTWORK IN AND OF ITSELF

My Photo
Name:
Location: Syracuse, New York, United States

In its short-sightedness, blogger has turned its back on those of us stuck with old operating systems and I'm forced to find a new blog host. You will now find MickMathersARTblog at Blog.com - use the direct link found in the masthead and remember to update your bookmarks. This place will continue as another archive for a large body of my work. As many of you know, my primary medium and working method is digital collage composed of manipulated photographs often combined with digital drawing & generative images. Netlabels, bands and musicians can view samples of my CD Cover Art at Mick Mather Illustration located on Tumblr. In another life I was an Arts & Culture consultant specializing in revitalization planning through creative public art projects and programs with Economic & Community Development Departments of towns, villages and cities. In these hard financial times this work is more important than ever and I still accept consultancy inquiries. You can contact me by email at: mickmather@yahoo.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Ahead of the curve -

"No Waitin' G #1"
stressed paper collage by Mick Mather
As I mentioned in this post on Sunday, here's the original stressed paper collage that resulted in that very "op art" image appearing at MICKMATHERSARTBLOG. To begin with, stressing paper is something I've been doing for quite a few years now - both in my painting and in certain collage pieces. For this piece, what I mean by stressing is a step-by-step process that begins with a slick, newspaper advertisement insert. It all begins by wadding the piece up in a ball, opening it, folding and creasing and then balling it up again. Next step is to the sink where the tight ball of paper is soaked and then carefully opened up. The water torture is critical since this sort of paper has close to a 90% clay content and will disintegrate quickly. While still wet, pieces are torn away, laid on a separate sheet of standard, white bond paper, quickly laid about and arranged until the image has been reconstructed. More than one advert can be used - as can be seen in this stressed paper series - although I only used one in this instance. You can also see a larger, manipulated version of this and, at last count, it's been developing into a lot more than the original three I had planned. Stay tuned.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger rebecca christiansen said...

Now this is so cool! Thanks, I'll try this tonight! I really like your digital work and appreciate you sharing your ideas and concepts.

http://justgiddy.typepad

5:48 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

rebecca woodward:
Thank you! Forgive me if I missed this post, I'm uncertain when you left it (although the time stamp with no date suggests that it may be recent). I'm always happy to share. Please let me know how your experiments come out. I'd like to see them too.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Furniture Repairs Newark said...

Thank you for ssharing

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home