No Matter What Shape - The Archive

AN ARCHIVE OF MY OLDER WORK - AN EXHIBITION SPACE FOR ORIGINAL AND ALTERNATE VERSIONS OF MANIPULATED WORKS THAT APPEAR AT MICKMATHERSARTBLOG - A PARKING PLACE FOR SELECTED GRAPHICS USED IN OTHER BLOG SIDEBARS - AN ARTWORK IN AND OF ITSELF

My Photo
Name:
Location: Syracuse, New York, United States

In its short-sightedness, blogger has turned its back on those of us stuck with old operating systems and I'm forced to find a new blog host. You will now find MickMathersARTblog at Blog.com - use the direct link found in the masthead and remember to update your bookmarks. This place will continue as another archive for a large body of my work. As many of you know, my primary medium and working method is digital collage composed of manipulated photographs often combined with digital drawing & generative images. Netlabels, bands and musicians can view samples of my CD Cover Art at Mick Mather Illustration located on Tumblr. In another life I was an Arts & Culture consultant specializing in revitalization planning through creative public art projects and programs with Economic & Community Development Departments of towns, villages and cities. In these hard financial times this work is more important than ever and I still accept consultancy inquiries. You can contact me by email at: mickmather@yahoo.com

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Gestural drawing: a quick study -

"Mick's Glasses"
pencil sketch by Mick Mather
Last week I participated in Career Day at one of our local High Schools. My presentation was a general discussion of drawing & illustrating by hand vs computer generated work and how both relate to individual fields in real life. Such as: graphic art, design, architecture, illustration and fine art, to name a few. Each student was encouraged to take pencil and paper and do a quick study of the coffee cup I was drinking from that morning. When they turned the tables on me I said, "okay, what should I draw?" Their answer was, "how about your glasses." Above is the scan of that very fast sketch, used as an example of the difference between a sketch, a working drawing, a preliminary study and a finished work of art. They seemed amazed that it was "okay" to just scribble out something in less than 30 seconds as I went on to tell them that, "this method of letting yourself go will accomplish a few things, not the least of which is a much more interesting, fluid and loose drawing style compared to something restrictive and tight." You can see another, manipulated version of this drawing at MickMathersARTblog.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home